Wednesday, December 3, 2008

John Muir House WOOT!

I lived fairly near his house for about ten years and I've never gone so, I finally decide to go and I had a great time.

I took a bunch of photos which I put on my myspace (WARNING: they aren't very good ;) and I'm trying to find a cheap DV cable so I can upload the video.

http://www.nps.gov/jomu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir

If you don't know much about Muir, you really should check him out. He's considered to be the Father of the National Park service and one of the great naturalists of all time. And he has a SUPER NICE HOUSE!

It was a really great trip, I can't really describe the house because there's just so much stuff there to look at so I'll limit myself to my favorite spot; his study (better known as his "scribble den") where he did a ton of reading and writing. Its probably more accurate to call the woods themselves his office but still it felt really cozy being in his little study. The only original furniture in the house is his bed and his desk, so being close to the very same desk that he owned, I could picture Muir leaning back and looking out the window, or with his head bent and passionately jotting down an observation on a leaf sample etc. I bought a little book containing some of his writings about nature and his walks etc and they are just overflowing with the details of the flowers or the sky or the way he feels......It reminds me a lot of how I feel when I go outside, yet I barely know anything about rocks or plant types etc. I can't wait to start studying them in more detail.

No comments: