Thursday, January 29, 2009

Looooooooooooooooong reading list (and a personal update)


Okays, I'm taking a super easy load this semester and I'm gonna have a ton of free time for the next few months. In the fall I'm going to be taking math & SCIENCE classes again, but I can't wait till then so...................I'm going to devote the time to the many books that I haven't finshed or even started yet. Specifically the SCIENCE books, and even more specifically, the biology books (Imma geek!). Seriously, I've thrown most of my $ at buying pop science books and old textbooks and I'm going to use the next few months to get a shit load of reading done. 

The list includes:
The Origin of Species
The Selfish Gene
Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Evolution: What the Fossil Record Says and Why it matters
The Extended Phenotype
The Beak of the Finch
Why Darwin Matters
The Dragons of Eden
The Ancestor's Tale
The Blind Watchmaker
Ever Since Darwin
Darwin's Dangerous Idea
Your Inner Fish
What Evolution Is

I've almost finished some of them, haven't even opened others. I'm gonna try and post reviews of the books when I get down with them. (First one will be on Why Darwin Matters, it's the shortest!)

I doubt I'll be able to finish the whole list but the more I get out of the way, the more prepared I'll be for my bio courses in the summer & fall. I feel kinda lazy because I'm just reading popular science books, but I feel these books are good place to start. I can't wait to take real science classes again in the fall. SCIENCE, I miss you so! (I apologize if your geek detector just went haywire) I have soooooooooooo much to learn.....lets start with the basics! If you guys want to suggest any books, feel free to. 

1 comment:

Lab Rat said...

A good thing to do with ancestor's tale (as it's quite a hefty book) if flips through to the 'meetingplaces' and read those. Gives a great and relatively quick idea of what's going on, and the awesome scale of it all.